Wednesday 9 October 2013

Do You Like Books? Part 2.

So we'll pick up straight where I left off.

In University, my taste in books had become a lot more mature. I began to read a more diverse selection of books. This is because I had to do a lot of assignments and research, so I didn't have much time for story books. When I did have time to read, I read different authors, mostly genres in crime, action and mystery. Neil Gaiman, Jeffrey Deaver, John Grisham.

Eventually in my last year of university, I joined a book club. In the club, we would each choose a book to recommend for the club to read. After two weeks, we would have a meeting again in a member's room (we lived in the hostel) to discuss about the books.

I recommended my favorite author at that time, who had by then only written two story books. 


This book made me cry. It was the first time I had ever cried reading a book.

And when we discussed about the book, my book club members also told me that they had cried. The book is called, 'Everything is Illuminated'. There is a very creative, unexplainable way that Jonathan Safran-Foer writes, that is very real, and makes your head feel like it is overwhelmed with emotions.

Fortunately for me, the club also introduced me to an author that I came to like, Mr Ken Follett.


This was the book I had to read for the book club. The title is 'The Pillars of the Earth'. I had never read such a thick book before. The Sweet Valley Series had, the most, 104 pages. 

This book was 983 pages long. 

It took me a whole week. I couldn't put it down because I had to know what happened next, what happened next! I didn't think I could finish it, but I did. I read it when I was having breakfast, lunch, dinner. When I was in the car on a long drive, when I was waiting for the LRT. I just couldn't stop reading because it was so interesting.

Ken Follett's style is a bit different from Jonathan Safran-Foer. Mr Follett is very fast-paced, and doesn't describe too many things. He describes just enough so you can imagine the scene, and focuses on the dialogue between the characters.

Currently, I am not reading anything new. I read Mr Follett's 'World Without End' with extreme interest, loved it almost as much as the first novel I read from him. However, I have given up in the middle of Mr Follett's 'Fall of Giants' because the characters were kind of shallow and uninteresting. Maybe he has lost his spark.

I'm sure you're wondering why I don't read Harry Potter. Or Twilight.

Well, I'm kind of that person who doesn't like to read what everybody else in the world is reading. I like to have a special relationship with my author and books, so I read things that aren't very popular. I'm sure Harry Potter is amazing, but I was never interested to try. Twilight.. Well, maybe if I was still 12 years old. I'm too old for that nonsense.

***

So, what do you like to read? Anything from my list you feel like you would like to try?

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment